Castle Chambers

Business: Maclachlans Ltd

Location: Glasgow

Type: Office

The Castle Chambers were built for G. and J. Maclachlan to designs by James Carruthers of the Glasgow architectural practice of Frank Burnet & Boston. The buildings were completed in 1902 at a cost of £28,000 (about £2.8m in today's money), and were built of red sandstone ashlar.

The five-storey building is decorated with sculptures by Ernest Gillick, and the entrance on West Regent Street has a mosaic with the firm's name.

Map of 1909 showing the site of the Castle Chambers
© National Library of Scotland, 2015

Active: 1898 - Current

Address: West Regent Street

Status: Converted

Current Use: Shops and restaurants

Architect: James Carruthers

Then

Sadly we do not have a picture of the Castle Chambers. Please contact us if you have one!

Now

Castle Chambers is used by a mix of commercial and service businesses.

Images


Other Sources of information

Web resources

Canmore has a number of records relating to the Castle Chambers. Last accessed 19th July 2016.

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Scotland. Buildings at risk register for Scotland. Edinburgh: RCAHMS, 2015. Last accessed 20th October 2015.